Monday, January 21, 2013

Thesis 11 of 95: Are Vendors People?

People in networked markets have figured out that they get far better information and support from one another than from vendors. So much for corporate rhetoric about adding value to commoditized products.

One of the difficulties in making these posts, especially with the themes I've been using, is that sometimes, the  theses pretty much all I want to say. Thus, I might sound a little redundant at times.

A more market reductionist person would maybe question the distinction the theses makes between "one another" and "vendors". Vendors, they would say, are people. People who happen to sell commodities.

Now, I'm not going to question the personhood of vendors, but to say that there isn't a difference in social relation between "the common person" and the "salesman" is to miss the point. The salesman works in commoditizing the social world, while the common person is subjected to that commoditization. In absence of this commoditization, the common person, who is always a part of the social world, would interact with it in a different way. We should be clear that "different way" might not inherently be the "better way".

The decommoditization of information and social activity leads to less dependence on this way of regulating the social.

Thats about all I have in me today.

See you soon, Thesis 12

--------------------------------------

PLEASE HELP ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND OUT

Let me know if you did and I can maybe reward you in some way.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is a language thing but what I have read here seems more like brain fog than academic discussion. Jakob what are you trying to achieve?

    ReplyDelete